Shake That Weight ™ • 1st December 2015 • 8 years ago
Healthier Chirstmas Snacks
Christmas is the time of temptation, especially when it comes to food, here are some top tips for some healthier christmas snack options garnished from our very own NHS website.
- Open-top mince pies. Using less pastry cuts down on calories and fat.
- Alternatively, use filo pastry. A sheet of puff pastry has 620kcal, and a sheet of filo has 40kcal. Also, add finely chopped apple to mincemeat to make it go further and be slightly lower in calories.
- Wrapping sausages in bacon or pastry just adds more fat and calories. Grill, or bake them on a wire rack so that the fat drains off.
- Avoid dips made with cream or cream cheese. Choose tomato-based dips, such as salsa, or mix some chopped herbs into low-fat yoghurt.
- Serve rice cakes, oatcakes or plain popcorn with drinks, instead of crisps and salted nuts.
- Some seasonal favourites such as; Satsumas are high in vitamin C, and roast chestnuts are low in fat.
Listed below are some ideas of how you can substitute unhealthy snacks for the much healthier alternative.
Stop: mini pastry tartlet (45kcal, 3.2g fat).
Swap: mini filo tartlet (30kcal, 1.5g fat).
Stop: breaded chicken bite (40kcal, 2g fat).
Swap: marinated chicken bite (29kcal, 0.8g fat).
Stop: salmon and cream cheese bite (30kcal, 2.5g fat).
Swap: salmon sushi bite (28kcal, trace fat).
Stop: prawn toast (53kcal, 4.1g fat).
Swap: prawn wonton (35kcal, 2.3g fat).
Stop: 30g handful of ready salted crisps (155kcal, 9.7g fat).
Swap: 30g handful of tortilla chips (147kcal, 7.3g fat).
Stop: 30g handful of salted peanuts (184kcal, 15.7g fat).
Swap: 30g handful of pretzels (114kcal, 0.8g fat).
Stop: 100g luxury sherry trifle (235kcal, 17.5g fat).
Swap: 100g satsumas in 15ml brandy (69kcal, trace fat).
Stop: 175ml glass of pre-mixed Buck’s fizz (106kcal, 0g fat).
Swap: 175ml glass of white wine spritzer, with 2:1 wine and soda water (75kcal, 0g fat).
Stop: 175ml glass of red wine (119kcal, 0g fat).
Swap: 175ml glass of mulled wine, made with 50% orange juice (111kcal, 0g fat).
Stop: one marzipan fruit (51kcal, 1.7g fat).
Swap: one fruit jelly (39kcal, 0g fat).
Stop: three pieces of chocolate orange (139kcal, 7.9g fat).
Swap: three sticks of chocolate-covered orange peel (90kcal, 3.9g fat).
Stop: four wrapped chocolates (160kcal, 8g fat).
Swap: four dates (116kcal, 0g fat).
Remember, even when swapping for the healthier snacks, not to overindulge. Respect your mouth and let it savour every delicious taste of Christmas.